The two-time Olympian is ready for her second Carlsbad 5000 on Sunday.
Throughout her successful track and field career, Shannon Rowbury has mainly competed at the 1,500 and 3,000-meter distances. Now, she’s planning to move up to the 5,000. On Sunday, she’ll take a big step in that direction at the Carlsbad 5000.
Despite this event being her first race of the year and her relative inexperience at the distance, Rowbury is among the favorites. The other top entrants in a highly competitive field include Gelete Burka and Werknesh Kidane of Ethiopia, Mercy Cherono and Pasalia Kipkoech of Kenya, Lara Tamsett of Australia, and Americans Brenda Martinez, Katie McGregor and Christin Wurth-Thomas.
Read Full Story »
The triathlon hopeful is on the road to recovery after a bad bike accident last year.
Lukas Verzbicas is a lucky man to be able to compete in the under-29 age-group race at the Carlsbad 5000 on Sunday.
Last July 31 at about 9 AM, while bicycling along the Garden of the Gods in Colorado on a training ride, the now 20-year-old Verzbicas encountered a wide 180-degree turn on a downhill stretch of road. He tried slowing down, but his bike got caught up in some sand and he slammed into a guardrail. The horrific accident left him with a broken thoracic vetrebrae, a broken clavicle, a broken spine and a partially collapsed lung. He also was paralyzed in his right leg and went through multiple hours and days of surgery at Penn Rose St. Francis Hospital in Colorado Springs.
Here was a man who had been the fifth high-schooler in history to break four minutes for the mile, had set national junior records for two miles and 3,000 meters, was a two-time Footlocker Cross Country champion during his sophomore and junior years in high school and was a two-time world champion in World Junior Triathlon. His chances of recuperating and regaining his brilliant athletic skills were slim. Even his chances of being able to walk properly again were considered a long shot.
Read Full Story »
2012 U.S. Olympic silver medalist Leo Manzano Highlights Men’s Field at World’s Fastest 5k
CARLSBAD, Calif. – April 1, 2013 – A historic race legendary for fast runners and world-class performances, two-time champion Dejen Gebremeskel can make history at the Carlsbad 5000 on Sunday, April 7, 2013. If the 23-year-old Ethiopian wins the ‘World’s Fastest 5K’ for the third consecutive year, he would join an elite group of three-time champions in the race’s 28-year history: American Steve Scott (1986-88), Kenyan Sammy Kipketer (2000-02) and Ethiopian Dejene Berhanu (2003-05). Since Gebremeskel also finished second in 2010, the combination of three victories and a second would make him the most successful men’s runner ever at the event.
Read Full Story »
Don’t miss your chance to be part of Southern California’s Favorite 5K and Party by the Sea on Sunday, April 7! Register today and you could win!
Save $5 and be entered to win a 1-night stay at La Costa Resort and Spa* in beautiful Carlsbad! To enter, register with online code SOCAL** by March 15th.
Continue Registration ►
*Room night is not valid on Saturdays and Holidays and subject to availability; advance reservations required and expires March 12, 2016.
**Offer expires at 11:59 PM (PST) on 3/15/13
COMPLETE OFFICIAL RULES
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited by law. Employees, agents, successors, and assignees of Competitor Group, Inc., its advertising agencies and promotional companies involved in this promotion, as well as family and household members of same, shall be ineligible to participate in the promotion and shall be ineligible for any prize covered herein.
2. HOW TO ENTER: There are two ways to enter: (1) All entrants in the Carlsbad 5000 who register by 3/15/13 or for entrance without incurring any monetary obligation, legibly hand-print on a 3_ x 5_ card: Carlsbad Staycation Offer, your full name, address, ZIP code, daytime phone number, and birth date; then mail it, with first-class postage affixed, in a hand-addressed envelope no larger than 4-1/8_ x 9-1/2_ (#10 envelope) to: Staycation Promo, Carlsbad 5000, 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121. Limit one entry per person. All online entries must be received by 11:59 pm PST time on 3/15/13 . All mailed entries must be postmarked by 3/15/13. CGI is not responsible for damaged, lost, late, misdirected, postage-due, incomplete or illegible entries. Facsimile and mechanically reproduced entries will not be accepted. All entries submitted become the sole property of CGI and will not be returned.
3. HOW TO WIN: Competitor Group, Inc. is running a promotion whereby one and only one entrant in the Early Bird Staycation promotion will be randomly selected by CGI as the winners of the promotions on or about June 1st and the one winner will be given a one night stay at La Costa Resort and Spa, valued over $200. The prize winner will be given 10 days to accept the prize.
4. PRIZES AND ODDS OF WINNING: Winners will be selected on or about April 5, 2013 by random drawing. The odds of being selected for prize(s) depend on the number of eligible entries received during the promotional period, and are expected to be about1,000:1. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Competitor Group, Inc.
5. GENERAL CONDITIONS: This promotion is governed by the laws of the United States. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. Winner will be notified by mail and / or in person and may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Publicity and Liability within seven days of notification. In the event of noncompliance, if a winner cannot be reached at the mailing address on that winner’s entry, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable, that prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. No substitution of any prizes will be offered. No prize transfer permitted. Prizes won by a minor will be awarded only to the minor’s parent or legal guardian. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinners. By participating and accepting a prize, so long as there is no legal prohibition, each winner agrees to the use of his/her name, address, photograph, videotape, or any likeness for advertising or publicity purposes and to the use of statements made by or attributed to
him/her relating to the Sponsor or to this promotion and releases any and all rights to said use without further compensation.
6. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: All entrants release Competitor Group, Inc. (CGI), and its affiliates, sponsors, subsidiaries, officers, directors, agents, employees, and all others associated with the development and execution of this promotion from any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this promotion and/or acceptance or use of the prizes, including liability for personal injury, bodily injury, death, property damage, damages, or loss. CGI is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information associated with or used in the promotion or for any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the promotion. CGI assumes no responsibility for any error or alteration of entries. CGI is not responsible for user cheating or fraud by any entrants. Any activities intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the promotion or defraud CGI in any way will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Participants who engage in any of the foregoing activities will be disqualified and will forfeit any prizes won. If for any reason the promotion is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of CGI that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this promotion, CGI reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the promotion.
7. WINNERS LIST: For the name of the Staycation winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121. All requests must be received by March 31, 2013.
8. PROMOTION SPONSOR: The promotion’s sponsor is Competitor Group, Inc., Attention: General Manager – Carlsbad 5000, 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121.
Read Full Story »