Bernard Lagat’s historic 13-minute, 19-second performance at the Carlsbad 5000 in March will not stand as a new American road record after race organizers learned that this year’s course did not measure the full 5,000 meters.
While watching a replay of the March 30 race, Executive Race Director Tracy Sundlun realized that the turnaround at the south end of Carlsbad Boulevard was not at the proper location, ordered a remeasure and found the course was short by a total of 13.5 feet.
Read Full Story »
Bernard Lagat came on to chat about his career, how he has adapted his training as he moved into his late 30′s, becoming an American citizen, his four Olympic experiences, his plans to make his fifth Olympic team, and his upcoming attempt to break the American record at the Carlsbad 5000.
Read Full Story »
Take on Carlsbad 5000, The World’s Fastest 5k on Sunday, March 30!
Save $5* when you register with online code PREGAME by March 5. You’ll also be entered for a chance to win** 2 premium tickets to the April 1st, San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers Game!
Continue Registration ►
*Code expires at 11:59 on 03/05/2014 and does not include the 20K & Junior Carlsbad.
** No purchase necessary. See official rules below.
COMPLETE OFFICIAL RULES
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited by law. Employees, agents, successors, and assignees of Competitor Group, Inc., its advertising agencies and promotional companies involved in this promotion, as well as family and household members of same, shall be ineligible to participate in the promotion and shall be ineligible for any prize covered herein.
2. HOW TO ENTER: There are two ways to enter: (1) All entrants in the Carlsbad 5000 who register by 3/15/13 or for entrance without incurring any monetary obligation, legibly hand-print on a 3_ x 5_ card: Carlsbad Road Trip Offer, your full name, address, ZIP code, daytime phone number, and birth date; then mail it, with first-class postage affixed, in a hand-addressed envelope no larger than 4-1/8_ x 9-1/2_ (#10 envelope) to: Road Trip Promo, Carlsbad 5000, 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121. Limit one entry per person. All online entries must be received by 11:59 pm PST time on 3/15/13 . All mailed entries must be postmarked by 3/15/13. CGI is not responsible for damaged, lost, late, misdirected, postage-due, incomplete or illegible entries. Facsimile and mechanically reproduced entries will not be accepted. All entries submitted become the sole property of CGI and will not be returned.
3. HOW TO WIN: Competitor Group, Inc. is running a promotion whereby one and only one entrant in the Road Trip promotion will be randomly selected by CGI as the winners of the promotions on or about March 17, 2014 and the one winner will be given two premium tickets to the April 1, 2014 San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers baseball game at Petco Park, valued over $149. The prize winner will be given 10 days to accept the prize.
4. PRIZES AND ODDS OF WINNING: Winners will be selected on or about March 17, 2013 by random drawing. The odds of being selected for prize(s) depend on the number of eligible entries received during the promotional period, and are expected to be about 500:1. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Competitor Group, Inc.
5. GENERAL CONDITIONS: This promotion is governed by the laws of the United States. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. Winner will be notified by mail and / or in person and may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Publicity and Liability within seven days of notification. In the event of noncompliance, if a winner cannot be reached at the mailing address on that winner’s entry, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable, that prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. No substitution of any prizes will be offered. No prize transfer permitted. Prizes won by a minor will be awarded only to the minor’s parent or legal guardian. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinners. By participating and accepting a prize, so long as there is no legal prohibition, each winner agrees to the use of his/her name, address, photograph, videotape, or any likeness for advertising or publicity purposes and to the use of statements made by or attributed to
him/her relating to the Sponsor or to this promotion and releases any and all rights to said use without further compensation.
6. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: All entrants release Competitor Group, Inc. (CGI), and its affiliates, sponsors, subsidiaries, officers, directors, agents, employees, and all others associated with the development and execution of this promotion from any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this promotion and/or acceptance or use of the prizes, including liability for personal injury, bodily injury, death, property damage, damages, or loss. CGI is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information associated with or used in the promotion or for any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the promotion. CGI assumes no responsibility for any error or alteration of entries. CGI is not responsible for user cheating or fraud by any entrants. Any activities intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the promotion or defraud CGI in any way will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Participants who engage in any of the foregoing activities will be disqualified and will forfeit any prizes won. If for any reason the promotion is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of CGI that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this promotion, CGI reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the promotion.
7. WINNERS LIST: For the name of the Road Trip winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121. All requests must be received by March 31, 2014.
8. PROMOTION SPONSOR: The promotion’s sponsor is Competitor Group, Inc., Attention: General Manager – Carlsbad 5000, 9477 Waples Street, Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121.
Read Full Story »
Changes are afoot for the thousands of legs set to tackle the World’s Fastest 5K.
The world’s most famous, and fastest, 3.1-mile race won’t be standing still on March 30.
“It’s a spectacular event and has always been a spectacular event,” says Tracy Sundlun, race founder and senior vice president of events at Competitor Group, which now owns the race. “But if you’re not looking for ways to improve it you are going backward.”
That direction is never the goal when leaning toward the finish line—or the epic Pizza Port Beer Garden afterward. So with that in mind, the 29th Carlsbad 5000 will look familiar, but feature some upgrades.
Read Full Story »
The 10-time global medalist will make his debut at the “World’s Fastest 5K” at the end of March.
CARLSBAD, Calif. — If you’re looking for a record-breaking performance, then Bernard Lagat is your man and the Carlsbad 5000 is your race.
The 39-year-old Lagat, one of the world’s all-time great distance runners, will be making his Carlsbad debut on Sunday, March 30 and his goal is to try and break the American record of 13:24 set by Marc Davis in 1996.
Read Full Story »